Sketches of Thoughts

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Do you need a douchebag?

These days, nothing makes me laugh harder than the word douchebag. Just like Reference.com suggests, I find it funniest when used as an insult. But thanks to the company of my neighbors and a drunken game of cards on Friday night, there are even more laughs ahead!

The cards didn't have much to do with it, actually. Every time we hang out with the neighbors (which is often, since they live directly across the street) something funny happens. This time it was the etymology of douchebag that got us started. The conversation went something like this:

Ms. Neighbor: "You know it's the French word for shower right?"
Mr. Neighbor: "What, douchebag?"
Me: Laughing hysterically already.
Mr. Neighbor: "So then, in French you say 'I'm doing to go take a douchebag?' Or, I really need a douchebag. Today I took a douchebag."
Me: Still laughing.
Mr. Neighbor: "Also, do you go to a bridal douchebag? Or a baby douchebag? Or take an umbrella when there's a chance of a thunder douchebag?"
Ms. Neighbor: Sighs. Laughs.
Me: Still laughing.

And Saturday? When my friend told me she had to go to a bridal shower? That was all I needed. I laughed some more. And I suspect I will be for some time - a veritable douchebag of giggles and laughter will rain down upon those who encounter me whenever I hear or say the word shower. Hurrah for etymology.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know this is an old post, but, killing time before class:

I frequently use the word douchebag, and I have no idea why it started. Its been a favorite insult of mine for a few months now.

The "conversation" in your post made me laugh. I hope no one at the library looked at me weird!

5:47 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

ummm.. jenn, isn't it douche that means shower, not douche bag??? not to be a frenchy snob

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home