Sketches of Thoughts

Thursday, July 20, 2006

He's Wise Beyond His Years.

I have had the most amazing day. I work for an organization that is so cool - and does such good work, and ACTUALLY changes lives. You hear lots about changing lives, but I'm often skeptical. But I believe in what my organization does. I believe in these boys. I believe they can be anything they want to be. Well, I believe just about anybody can be anything they want to be, but most people don't have it as tough as some of these guys.

Just a quick example - after watching a little bit of dance rehearsal this morning and working with the media, I decided to join the guys for lunch. The youngest of all was telling me a little bit about his life, and mostly about how things were lots easier before his daddy went to jail. When he dances, he smiles, he turns it on, he's the most charming little thing you ever did see. But he knows pain. He knows heartache. He knows hard times. And he's wise beyond his years. I have so much to learn not only from this work experience, but also from these young men. They are amazing people.

If you're interested in my work with this group, hit www.tallahassee.com later today or tomorrow. There should be a story and a photo gallery there. Email me if you don't know what to look for. I'd say more, but this is the Internet, people. I must be careful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home