Sketches of Thoughts

Friday, June 09, 2006

Times They Are A Changin'

It's a good thing I've got Dylan and lots of other fabulous music to keep me moving this summer. It seems like there is some serious adult shit shaking down. I've started a new and very intense job. Pete is developing his career in ways I would have never guessed possible when we first met. My friend has just accepted a new gig, too, and her girlfriend has decided to go back to school. Another is looking for a teaching gig, and another just got a fabulous promotion at work. My brother-in-law and his wife and expecting a baby. My frind Julie is coming to stay with me for two weeks with her two dogs. I'm thinking about wanting to buy a house, maybe sell our older car. Another friend got a new puppy yesterday, only three and a half pounds. I experienced a life circle yesterday - while it's pretty morbid to mention it on your blog, today I am grieving the loss of my dear sweet kitty, Bix. He was struck by a car in the road in front of our house last night.

I'm crying as I type it, but if you had the pleasure of knowing Bix, you know that even though he was six years old, he had definately lived nine lives. He survived the cluthes of an animal hoarder and a cross-country trip from Arizona to Tallahassee. He was rescued by the Humane Society, but had trouble getting along with other animals, so he went through three homes in about a year before coming to live with us. When we adopted him, the Humane Society told us it was a good thing, because he probably wasn't long for this world. He was huge and fat, and hated being inside. Around Christmastime this year we made the decision to let him be an outside boy, on the advice of the Humane Society. (Bix had some street cred and we were desperate to see him happier - inside just wasn't the answer for him.) And happier he was - he lost so much weight, was so much cuddlier and greeted everyone who came to our doorstep with a meow and a brush against their leg. Like I said, this was one good critter, and our lives are better having known him. It will be so sad not to have him around to brighten my day, but life is short and fragile. We're sending Bix off in style tomorrow morning before our garage sale with a Mimosa toast to his extraordinary little kitty life.

I can only hope that if you have pets, you'll give them an extra snuggle today. I'll be missing Bix this summer - he came around during a very important year of my life - the first year of my marriage. It's sad to know as that as we approach anniversary #3 Bix won't be there to see the dawn of another year. Times change, pets and people come and go from our lives. Pete said in an email to me earlier today :

I'm sad about Bix, too. I'm just sad that I didn't get to see him again, you know? I love you so much and this just reminds me of life's fragility. I think I'll listen to some Stevie Wonder this evening ("if it's magic"). It always reminds me of how special our love is, how important our loving others is, and how patient we must be with the world when trivial things obstruct our view of love. Love, actually, is all around us.

It's true: there's love everywhere. What a nice reminder. This weekend, I hope you'll have the opportunity to experience it yourself in whatever form or fashion means something to you. I know I will, even though it will be a change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home