Sketches of Thoughts

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Will you be charging that today?

Disclaimer: I love Target. It is my favorite one-stop shopping destination. Not to mention the closest retail outlet near me.

But today I experienced extreme irritation in Target. For the second time this week, while trying to concentrate on my shopping, I overheard the store manager come of the walkie-talkies and give a "pep talk" to employees. I use the term "pep talk" very lightly because it was less peppy than you'd suppose. It was more like commanding employees to push the Target Visa card on every customer.

Here's what the voice on the other end of the radio had to say: "We only have 7 people signed up for RedCard today, team. We have to remember to ask every customer: 'Did you find everything today?' and 'Will you be paying with your RedCard today?' We've got to keep asking, team, we've got a long ways to go!"

A long ways to go toward what? Helping people amass credit card debt? Waste time at checkout? Is there no decency left? Overhearing what I would very much prefer to be a "behind the scenes" chat demolishes a pleassant shopping experience for me, knowing that my purchase alone is not enough for the corporate powers-that-be. In their greedy little minds, I must be charging beyond belief for things I can't pay for. Too bad that shovy female voice on the other end of the line won't be there to give a pep talk to the card holder when they get the bill in the mail.

I should mention that I don't object to the Target Visa card. In fact, I have one of my own. But I do object to having to overhear some management-type constantly reminder her employees about pushing the cards while I'm shopping. I'd much prefer the employees devote their attention to improved customer service, or better yet, more employees working the checkout counters to reduce the lines at the register. There you have it folks, my customer service complaint of the day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home