Sketches of Thoughts

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

You deserve it.

I've been thinking lots about entitlement lately. It's something I struggle with. I abhor comments like "Well, I bought it because I only deserve the best, so I thought I should have it." I think inner-city children deserve the best education, but we don't see that happening consistently. I don't understand why musicians show up late too a rehearsal, how you can question a plan different from your or rationalize inconsiderate behavior on the basis of selfish entitlement issues. As we approach the slothful holiday season and the haves and the have-nots become visible, as the American dream is squeezed by the pressure of a shrinking middle class and as those around us nearly drown keeing their heads above the water, I'm going to try and remember that I'm not entitled. Maybe Garrison Keillor and the Midwesterners were right and we're not so different and special after all. Seems we all deserve the best. Now, on with how we achieve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home